Speed Up Digestion
Improve Your Digestive Health!
If you want to speed up digestion, there are a few very good ways to do it.
The problems associated with slow digestion are multiple. You often feel bloated, uncomfortable, constipated, sluggish, and fatigued.
The reason for this discomfort is because your body is using all of its resources to try to process and eliminate food, but something is working against it.
Too often we suffer from a sluggish bowel because of dietary and environmental hazards. Yes, I DO mean the food we eat and the air we breathe as well as lack of exercise and poor hydration.
All of these factors combine to leave our bodies full of toxins and old waste matter that hinder efficient digestion.
Ideally, the transit time from the moment food enters your mouth to the time the waste materials of that same food exit the other end should be no longer than 24 hours.
If you've never tested your own transit time, simply eat some corn, or some nuts, and note how long it takes before you see them in the toilet. Yes, you have to look! :)
If you find that it is taking longer than 24 hours (or if you are experiencing any symptoms of poor digestion), here are some tips to help you speed up digestion and get more out of every morsel you eat.
How To Speed Up Digestion
- Eat more whole foods. Fresh fruits, vegetables, and grains not only provide your body with higher levels of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes, but also, the fiber your body uses to help achieve efficient digestion.
- Eat more slowly. Isn't it funny that eating more slowly will speed up digestion? We live in such a fast paced world that many of us have developed a habit of rushing through our meals. Take time to chew your food well and eat in a calm and relaxed fashion.
- Drink more water. I really do mean water, not soft drinks or energy drinks. :) Good quality water is necessary to aid in efficient digestion. If you don't have enough hydration in the bowels, you end up with waste that is too dry and difficult to pass. Not only that, the body has to work even harder to extract and absorb the nutrients from your food.
- Get moderate exercise. You don't have to be a gym junkie to have a healthy digestive system. But some exercise is very important. Something as simple as a good brisk walk a few times per week may be all you need keep things moving as they should.
- Cleanse your colon. If you're already struggling with poor or slow digestion, one of the quickest and best steps you can take to improve your digestion is a good colon cleanse. I like to engage in a digestive cleanse at least once per year to clean out any toxic "sludge" that may be laying and fermenting in my colon. I'm always amazed at how much better I feel as a result.
- Don't be afraid to supplement if needed. If you are like my husband who finds it quite difficult to eat a healthy diet, you may find it necessary to takegood quality whole food nutritional supplements to make up the lack of nutrition in your diet. Hubby gets his "greens" by way of Leaf Greens and his essential fatty acids from AIMega.
Following these basic principles of good health and digestion can make a huge difference in how you feel on a day to day basis. Enjoy more energy, lose excess weight, and eliminate the fatiguing symptoms of slow or poor digestion.
To your good health!
Return from Speed Up Digestion to Human Digestive System
Return to All About Parasites Homepage
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave us a comment in the box below.